Holiday’s Best Eggnog
The holidays are not complete without our favorite drink. This version safely cooks the eggs to make this recipe worry free.
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cups half & half
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 whole cloves
- To a large saucepan add milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla, whole cloves and cinnamon. Slowly bring the mixture to a boil.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the egg yolks and sugar.
- To temper the eggs, slowly stream in 1/2 of the milk mixture into the eggs while constantly whisking. Add egg mixture back into the saucepan and cook on low for 5 minutes while constantly stirring.
- Remove cloves from mixture and refrigerate until cool. Can take 1 to 2 hours.
- Add remaining cream, half & half, 2 teaspoons vanilla and ground nutmeg. May add rum at this step if you wish.
- For best results, refrigerate overnight before serving.
- Stir before serving as spices will need to be redistributed.